tree
tag2

Motunau Beach

Originally a stopping place for the Maori in canoes travelling from Kaikoura to Kaiapoi. Also an early whaling station.

This area was the first pastural run in Canterbury Motunau Station being established in 1847 by the Greenwood Brothers, and later managed by John Scott Caverhill.

A small fishing community, some of it commercial. A sheltered cove with a Gannet colony and off shore Motunau Island.

To get there from Cheviot, drive south on SH1 to Greta Valley (about 20 mins). Turn left just before Greta Valley and continue about another 10 kms. to Motunau. A good sealed road all the way.

An alternative drive back would be to turn right when leaving Motunau and drive through the Happy Valley. At Stoneyhurst T junction turn either left to join SH1 or right down the Blythe Valley to the Hurunui Mouth. Most of this route is unsealed but a very interesting drive.

Motunau Beach

Motunau Beach